Magic mushrooms have been used for many centuries due to their healing properties and ability to calm the mind. While the rituals and methods that Native Americans used a thousand years ago differ a lot from the way psilocybin mushrooms are used today, there are still similarities, and the basic core principle is the same.
Nevertheless, there are many misconceptions about the modern use of microscopic mushroom spores that most people don’t even realize:
- Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms are sometimes considered dangerous, which is why many states and countries have banned them. Nevertheless, the responsible use of the mushrooms leads to mental health improvements, better cognition and enhanced creativity. Users who know how to adjust the dosage properly don’t even need the consciousness altering properties of the mushrooms to benefit from all of this.
- Another misconception is that the mushrooms can cause severe health issues if you use them too much. Even though they can cause symptoms like lack of coordination, confusion, nausea and dizziness, all of these effects are temporary and they wear off once the effects of the mushrooms are gone. In reality, the risks are few and far between, and they rarely persist for long.
- A common myth about psychedelic drugs like psilocybin mushrooms is that they can impair the brain’s ability to function properly over time. Recent research actually shows that psilocybin can help neurons in the brain develop new dendrites which assists with the communication between brain cells. Synapses and cognition will likely improve as long as you take the right dosage.